Friday, September 24, 2004

Moving furniture around

We've just finished putting a new coat of paint on the walls and ceilings of our bathroom, kitchen and dining room. Where there had been a layer of griminess, miscellaneous crayon markings and splotches of dubious origins, there is now a bright, shiny new off-white gleam. Most of the furniture has been moved back to where it was but a few things have been deemed unnecessary or suitable for storage in the basement, and the placement of a few other things has been optimized to create a bit more spaciousness.

I have always loved the conscious redesign of living space. When I was in high school, my friend P was obsessed with rearranging his bedroom, at least once a month if not more frequently. I spent many hours on weekend evenings, listening to vinyl records and watching him moving furniture while waiting for our other friends. Once I moved out of my parents' house, I engaged in similar (though not as frequent) behavior. In addition to forcing one to pick up all the accumulated clutter, the process of moving furniture around forces one to think through the physical use, social implications and emotional meaning of each thing. It forces a bit of de-alienation from one's physical environment.

No comments: